Quote of the Day: Albert Einstein [Everybody is a Genius]

Einstein Was A Genius -- Apparently So Are You

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

-Albert Einstein

That’s right. Everyone is a genius. Or at least, the potential to be a genius. The trick is, you have to find and cultivate the genius within you. Many of us go down the wrong road at first, much like the poor fish that tried to climb a tree in Einstein’s example. And when we don’t succeed, we feel, well, stupid. Inadequate. Unfulfilled. The truth is, many of the most successful people of our time started out going down very different career paths. A few examples:

1. Andrea Bocelli, lawyer (that voice, limited to arguing in court?)

2. Martha Stewart, stockbroker (clearly, not the right career for her talents)

3. Julia Child, government spy (she didn’t actually start cooking school until age 36)

4. Demi Moore, debt collector (this might have worked out, since who could say no to Demi?)

5. Stephen King, janitor (his job cleaning a girls’ locker room is what inspired him to write Carrie)

The key to success is knowing yourself. We all have unique gifts and talents. If you recognize your talents and work incredibly hard, there is no limit to what you can achieve or how good you can feel about yourself in the process. Take Einstein’s advice and push yourself to build a career around your personal brand of genius. If you succeed, you’ll end up proving Einstein’s genius label as well as your own.

Share In Color...Share on FacebookPin on PinterestGoogle+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
This entry was posted in Quote of the Day. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Quote of the Day: Albert Einstein [Everybody is a Genius]

1. One day my name will be on a list like this, and people will be saying, “Oh my, can you imagine if Raquel had been the administrator for the EPA Office of Research and Development instead of a best-selling and award-winning writer? The horror!!”

I still enjoy science and care about the environment, but I’m happier in the arts than I ever was in the sciences :)

2. Samira says:

Great post!!! Wow – never knew about some of these people’s previous job history… amazing!!! My favorite is Demi Moore – debt collector – that is hilarious!!

3. Tova says:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful quote and post! It certainly has made me ponder….:)

4. Howard Douglas Rosbury says:

As you believe, so shall it remain.

5. Dj says:

This quote literally makes no sense. You would not call one who couldn’t climb a tree stupid, because it has nothing do with intelligence. That applies to fish, too. Incompetent would work, but not stupid. Thus, we would have to rewrite the quote as “Everybody is competent, but if you judge a fish based on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will live it’s whole life thinking it is incompetent.”

• ciotog says:

Hey Dj, why don’t you go climb a tree? ;)

• lou scheggia says:

dj u r correct in your assessment insofar as the literal interpretation of this quote but i must offer respectfully that you are woefully remiss in that u seem to be vacent in not recognizing that this quote was not meant to be appreciated for its literal interpretation but rather its metaphorically quintessential implication

6. Brad Price says:

I Love this quote. I was in the wrong vocation, and when I decided to do my own thing, people thought I was stupid. A long story short: I don’t care what others think. I am doing what’s right for me! The only thing I feel remotely stupid about, is being involved in the wrong vocation in the first place!

7. kim says:

could you tell me when and where the einstein quotation came from?