Why You Should Date A Girl Who Reads

Girl Reading by Pablo PIcasso

Date a girl who reads. Date a girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes. She has problems with closet space because she has too many books. Date a girl who has a list of books she wants to read, who has had a library card since she was twelve.

Find a girl who reads. You’ll know that she does because she will always have an unread book in her bag. She’s the one lovingly looking over the shelves in the bookstore, the one who quietly cries out when she finds the book she wants. You see the weird chick sniffing the pages of an old book in a second hand book shop? That’s the reader. They can never resist smelling the pages, especially when they are yellow.

She’s the girl reading while waiting in that coffee shop down the street. If you take a peek at her mug, the non-dairy creamer is floating on top because she’s kind of engrossed already. Lost in a world of the author’s making. Sit down. She might give you a glare, as most girls who read do not like to be interrupted. Ask her if she likes the book.

Buy her another cup of coffee.

Let her know what you really think of Murakami. See if she got through the first chapter of Fellowship. Understand that if she says she understood James Joyce’s Ulysses she’s just saying that to sound intelligent. Ask her if she loves Alice or she would like to be Alice.

It’s easy to date a girl who reads. Give her books for her birthday, for Christmas and for anniversaries. Give her the gift of words, in poetry, in song. Give her Neruda, Pound, Sexton, Cummings. Let her know that you understand that words are love. Understand that she knows the difference between books and reality but by god, she’s going to try to make her life a little like her favorite book. It will never be your fault if she does.

She has to give it a shot somehow.

Lie to her. If she understands syntax, she will understand your need to lie. Behind words are other things: motivation, value, nuance, dialogue. It will not be the end of the world.

Fail her. Because a girl who reads knows that failure always leads up to the climax. Because girls who understand that all things will come to end. That you can always write a sequel. That you can begin again and again and still be the hero. That life is meant to have a villain or two.

Why be frightened of everything that you are not? Girls who read understand that people, like characters, develop. Except in the Twilight series.

If you find a girl who reads, keep her close. When you find her up at 2 AM clutching a book to her chest and weeping, make her a cup of tea and hold her. You may lose her for a couple of hours but she will always come back to you. She’ll talk as if the characters in the book are real, because for a while, they always are.

You will propose on a hot air balloon. Or during a rock concert. Or very casually next time she’s sick. Over Skype.

You will smile so hard you will wonder why your heart hasn’t burst and bled out all over your chest yet. You will write the story of your lives, have kids with strange names and even stranger tastes. She will introduce your children to the Cat in the Hat and Aslan, maybe in the same day. You will walk the winters of your old age together and she will recite Keats under her breath while you shake the snow off your boots.

Date a girl who reads because you deserve it. You deserve a girl who can give you the most colorful life imaginable. If you can only give her monotony, and stale hours and half-baked proposals, then you’re better off alone. If you want the world and the worlds beyond it, date a girl who reads.”

Or better yet, date a girl who writes.

By: Rosemarie Urquico (via kblitz)

(via conversationslips)

Share In Color...Share on FacebookPin on PinterestGoogle+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
This entry was posted in Just for Fun. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Why You Should Date A Girl Who Reads

1. Judith Ahdoot says:

the ending is my favorite part. love you mel…amazing!

2. Bonnie G says:

This is truly lovely, really, really enjoyed it! Thanks

3. Jay C says:

Excellent. Your article here really inspired me.

Not to find a girl who reads, but to actually start reading again myself.. or writing for that matter.

4. Super…so lovely I keep reading it over and over. Thank you!

5. Odelia says:

I LOVE IT!!! I just started reading (very slowly) again and realized how much calmer my days have become!!!! You’re an inspiration Meli

6. Maral says:

Words can’t describe how many different emotions came over me while reading this…. Some from the past, because I use to read often. Some visualizing what this girl could look like, and how simple and pleasant her life seemed! You inspire me in so many ways that you probably don’t even know.
    xoxo,
    M

7. Paul Losada says:

Love this. I’m absolutely convinced that all my dating woes boil down to the fact that so few were readers. I live in Los Angeles–they’re hard to find here.

8. This is great. Loved it.

9. Brian Kozina says:

Love it.

10. gypsyontherocks says:

so true ! :)

11. Pingback: Why You Should Date A Girl Who Reads (via Write In Color) « Gypsyontherocks

12. sieghrt says:

I should do this, and I’m glad that most women I date out turns out to be something that has positive traits. I hope that I find the right person for me <3

13. Sha Kookie says:

Hi Melody! I posted a link to this post on our blog because I loved it so much…hope you don’t mind. Check it out when you have the time: http://thelasthappysinglegirl.blogspot.com/

thanks!

14. thatissophat says:

Love it! Don’t know what else to say.

15. Tricia says:

Perfect.

16. Back-up says:

Brilliant. As a guy, this is exactly what I want-what I am looking for. I once fell in love with a girl because she said that one of the things she loved the most was a pen that wrote smooth.

17. Thousif Raza says:

i gotta say… i liked the post very much… so subtle yet says everything so beautifully… i felt really calm after reading the post… a strange happiness in my chest… beautiful

Take care and keep writing

18. melissa says:

I love the every loving heck out of this. It’s all overfacebook now but they are saying that robert pattinson wrote it. please start taking credit

19. Jennifer says:

I think we should hang this over the urinals in the men’s room – let them learn while they are, um, occupied.

20. jaimekristal says:

Love it! I hope guys out there start to get a clue ;0)

21. Susan V says:

I AM this girl! And I cried while reading this. Just beautiful!

22. “…she’s going to try to make her life a little like her favorite book”

What if her favorite book is McCarthy’s _Blood Meridian_? (sorry, couldn’t resist :) )

23. Don Corales says:

how can i find a girl who reads? nowadays, it’s kind of hard.

24. Lyndsay says:

I need to print this out and tape it on my forehead.

25. Jennifer Burciaga says:

Your words are amazing, it made me cry because there isn’t a lot of people who can understand that connection between a book and the person reading it. It made me think of my favorite book ‘Emma’ by Jane Austen, as if you were describing a part of Emma.

26. Payal Jain says:

“You’ll know that she does (reads) because she will always have an unread book in her bag. She’s the one lovingly looking over the shelves in the bookstore, the one who quietly cries out when she finds the book she wants. You see the weird chick sniffing the pages of an old book in a second hand book shop? That’s the reader. They can never resist smelling the pages, especially when they are yellow.” Amazing =)
    Loved it to the core. *hats off*

27. Pingback: #2 كتب « سيّاف

28. ellaherself says:

Reblogged this on Thoughts and Whatnots.

29. Pingback: If you want an imaginative partner… | Sometimes Tara, Always Bug

30. Melissa says:

I’m the one standing in the aisles inhaling the scent of the books. There is no lovlier scent, except perhaps the scent of your newborn baby as you hold her while she falls asleep :)

31. Girls should date guys who read, and write. I feel cheated because of my gender.

32. wilson says:

uhh whAt do you mean cAt in the hat and ” asian” ?

33. Haley Baugher says:

I love this article! It describes me so well. I’m just confused about one part. I thought syntax was the order that the words go in in a sentence while semantics was the word’s meaning.

34. stardreamer says:

Reblogged this on Robin Dalton Writing Services and commented:
    I loved this

35. Pingback: Why you should date an illiterate girl « Laura Cristina Stroie

36. Marnie says:

This is so good. I knew it would pay off that I love to read.
    what-the-chic.blogspot.com
    theperuser.blogspot.com

37. Pingback: If you want an imaginative partner… | Sometimes Tara, Always Bug

38. Pingback: Why You Should Date a Girl Who Reads (and also has a library card.) | itsateenagelibrarything

39. Dani says:

Oh…this is me! Thank you, I loved to read this! It made my day.

40. I totally did this… but my reading girl (and wife of 19 years) wants Gibbon, and Trollope, and Austen, and…. well, anything that comes from the Penquin classics.

41. Critique says:

Not exactly my place, but since no one else will say it. This is not your piece of writing, a lot of people are crediting you and, to be fair, the head of your article says it’s by Mel, not Rosemary Urquico, who it is actually by. The poem is, in fact, a response the the original “You should date an Illiterate girl” by Charles Warmke – http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/dont-date-a-girl-who-reads/

Just an artist making sure other artists receive their dues.

• Hi there,

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Just wanted to let you know that if you look at the post, although it says that it is posted by me, I credit Rosemary as the author at the bottom. Also, I credit the places I saw it posted before I posted it. I couldn’t credit it any more than I do. I never took credit for it myself. I am all about promoting other artists, not taking credit for their work.

Melody

42. Luna says:

Awesome. Reminded me of me!

43. Pingback: Did You Have a Nice Weekend?

44. chinamatt says:

I can’t think of dozens of other reasons to date a girl who reads. Now we need a list of reasons to date a guy who reads.

45. Lyla says:

Reblogged this on Carpe Diem ~ Seize the Day and commented:
    I couldn’t have said it better.
    At first, with every sentence my beam was getting bigger, I could relate.
    Towards the end, the beam turned into a sad smile, knowing that “he”, whoever “he” is, will probably never read this..

46. mtgriffin says:

Reblogged this on Forever Sunshine and commented:
    This is why you should date me! :)

47. Aliyah says:

This Has to be the most patronising revolting thing I have read for ages. I read a lot, am a female, love the smell of a book but get a damn grip all of you.